Sunday, February 12, 2012

Breakthrough At Breakaway: A Kit Kelsey Interview

For nearly four years, Kit Kelsey had entertained fans in Australia with his high-flying style of wrestling. A penchant for both pushing the pace and the envelope during a match, the Queensland native gained a reputation for always adding moves to his ever-expanding repertoire.

"There's not a maneuver I don't want to try out at least once. If I'm hitting more than I'm taking? Even better," joked Kelsey in an interview dated January 4th, 2011.

How ironic is it then, that a move he had performed hundreds of times in his career -- a Phoenix Splash รข€“ would lead to an injury severe enough to sideline the grappler for nearly 7 months?

"I just landed the wrong way and my shoulder took the brunt. Dislocated it pretty bad and put a tear in the rotator cuff," Kelsey told PSWrestling.com about the cause of his recent layoff. "For a while, I was convinced if it wasn't for bad luck, I didn't have much luck at all. Looks like things might have turned a corner, eh mate?"

Indeed, Lady Luck seemed to be back at Kit Kelsey's side this past Saturday as months of patience, rehab and an unexpected break culminated in his in-ring return. More impressive still, he not only achieved victory in a grueling Irish Battle Royal, but, in just his first night on the Peach State Wrestling roster, became champion.

To further discuss this shocking turn of events, we caught up with newly crowned PSW titleholder via telephone, as he awaited a flight back to his home in Queensland, Australia. The following is a transcript of that interview:


Jaxson Hunter: Thanks for taking a moment to answer a few questions. First things first-- while PSW fans may know you best from some YouTube videos hyping Brute Svenson, many aren't familiar with your in-ring work. Can you tell us about your background in wrestling?

Kit Kelsey: I've been a big wrestling fan my whole life. Some of my earliest childhood memories are of watching tapes from all over the world. This wasn't any passing interest; as soon as I was old enough, I started training at a local school until I had the skills to make a career out of it. That's something I've been able to do for a few years now.

JH: How did that bring you to Peach State Wrestling?

KK: It's been a long and winding road, that's for sure. From being signed to Young Lions Wrestling, to getting injured, then having the NWA collapse... ending up in Georgia was unexpected but I'm very thankful my path eventually led to such a great situation. Let me just make it clear -- I'm not some Johnny-come-lately who lucked into a title. I may have been in the background, but I've been here. When Young Lion's came in and took their roster photos, I was probably the one saying 'say cheese' [Laughs] When they had a press release, I likely proofed the spelling... I've been doing every odd job I could, waiting to be medically cleared and have a chance in that ring. More importantly, I learned a lot in my time off. I learned that even when my body wasn't capable, the competitor in me was alive and well. I learned that when an opportunity presents itself, you grab ahold and never take it for granted.

JH: Speaking of opportunity, you wouldn't have gained entrance in the IBR if not for an unfortunate incident involving Matt Reynolds. Any thoughts on his attack prior to 'Breakaway'?

KK: I thought it was pretty awful and I hope he recovers quickly. If anyone knows how hard it is to make it back from injury, it's me. But really, what else do you expect? We can move the shows out of Dixieland, we can change the location of our backstage, but that doesn't change who IS backstage. We have our share of rotten apples, Jax. I've heard Nick King bragging about his handiwork, and I can't say I'm too surprised he'd pull something like that.

JH: And how exactly did you end up stepping in for the injured Reynolds?

KK: Whether you wanna call it superstition or habit, I always have my gear with me at shows. Although honestly, I would have wrestled bare foot and bare assed if I had to. Once word got out we were down a man, I didn't hesitate to let Jody know I'd been cleared to start wrestling again and was willing to jump in. Couldn't hurt to give it a shot, right? Well, if the months I'd been out of the ring felt long, the few seconds it took Jody to agree may as well have been years... but he did, and before he could change his mind, you better believe I was dressed and at that curtain waiting for the number five slot to come up.

JH: Of course, by entering the Irish Battle Royal, it put you up against every wrestler in PSW, including Brute Svenson. He's someone you've been allied with and spent considerable time promoting as a major contender. Yet, in the end, you pinned Brute to--

KK: Look Jax, when opportunity knocks, you don't waste time asking 'who's there?' No, you open the door and step on through. Sure, I knew Brute was going to be in that ring. So were a lot of competitors I respect, and plenty I don't. Things happen for a reason and in the midst of a match, things happen fast. I'm sure the big fella will come to understand that.

JH: So he doesn't now? Brute didn't look too happy leaving the ring and word is there was a bit of commotion backstage...

KK: Sure, there was commotion! I just became Peach State champion! That's pretty exciting stuff... Or maybe what you heard was Nick King attacking someone else? Heck, if rumors are true, maybe it was Griffin Hawkins throwing a tantrum backstage. Otherwise, I don't know what you're talking about, mate.

JH: Back to the match itself. After all that time away, how did it feel to finally be back wrestling?

KK: The atmosphere was just tremendous and the adrenalin rush was incredible. Just feeling the canvas under my feet would have been enough... but to return in such an epic way? Amazing. That said, I'd be lying if I didn't admit a little part of me was scared to death. People are always going to be looking at you and wondering, 'does he still have it?' Fact is, the people of PSW don't know me as a wrestler, so the only one left to ask that question was me. Have no doubt, I was asking it plenty until the final bell rang.

JH: While you walking out of 'Breakaway' as champion was the story of night, a lot of people are still buzzing about the appearance of Johnny Royal. Your thoughts?

KK: The crowd seemed pretty happy to see him, so he's welcome to lace'em up, as far as I'm concerned. Just understand, there's a world of difference between making googly eyes at a championship belt, and actually winning one. Royal showed he's pretty good at gesturing at a title... if he wants to prove he can win it, if he wants to show he's as good as everyone seems to think, well, he was pointing to the right person, because I didn't come all this way to dodge a fight. Otherwise, I don't really know a lot about the man. That doesn't mean I plan on underestimating him, by any means. Heck, who knew about Kit Kelsey before he shocked PSW?

JH: So, here we are, several days since PSW's anniversary show. How are you feeling now?

KK: I feel like I scrapped off a lot of rust and maybe took a bit of flesh with it. [Laughs] All kidding aside, I'm just fine.

JH: So your absence from the upcoming 'Aftermath' card isn't injury related?

KK: Not at all. Trust me, I'm eager and ready to get back at it as soon as I can. It just so happens I've got some visa issues to work out now that I'm officially wrestling again. It shouldn't take long, and hey, if I could wait 7 months, I can deal with a few more weeks. In the meantime, the PSW title goes international. I'm taking it to Australia... the Gold Coast, quite fittingly. Speaking of which, it looks like it's time to board my flight.

JH: Well, again, thank you for your time. Any last words to the fans or your fellow competitors?

KK: Not a problem, Jax. As far as last words? Nope. The words aren't stopping, the wins aren't stopping and this title run isn't stopping. I've heard people claim they were just here to 'entertain'. I've heard others say they wanted nothing more than to burn this whole company to the ground. Me? I'm just looking to out work and out wrestle everyone on the roster. So get used to it Peach State; Kit Kelsey is your champion and that's not changing anytime soon.